3. If your child will need to ride a bus other than the one to which he/she is assigned, give your child a note for his/her principal at least one day before your request. The teacher/principal will initial the note and notify the driver. Following this procedure helps school staff members know where your child is in case of an emergency.
4. Take time periodically to go over bus conduct rules for safe ridership.
5. When you see a school bus turn on overhead red flashing lights and the bus is stopped, remember that you must stop your vehicle. When the overhead amber lights or hazard lights are flashing, you may proceed very cautiously, if safe to do so.
STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES AT THE BUS STOP
1. Be at the bus stop ten minutes before the designated pickup time.
2. Stay off the road (10 to 20 feet) at your assigned bus stop location while waiting for the bus. Please stand still and in a line as the bus approaches.
3. You may approach the bus only after the driver has opened the door.
4. Show respect for property and other people at the bus stop.
STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES ON THE BUS
1. Follow a bus driver's instructions and respect driver.
2. Bus driver may assign seats.
3. Observe classroom behavior and rules. Stay seated, talk quietly.
4. Eating and drinking are prohibited.
5. Unsafe items are prohibited. All allowable items must be in a backpack or similar container and are to be held on the lap.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARENTS/GUARDIANS
1. Teach your child that the driver is the person in authority on the bus. Teach your child to follow all bus rules and the special instructions.
2. Make sure your child arrives at the bus stop ten minutes before the designated time.
3. Provide supervision of your child going to and from the bus stop and at the stop, as necessary.
4. Appear in person with your child if we request a conference.
SCHOOL BUS LAW HIGHLIGHTS
Michigan Law 257.682 Stopping for school bus displaying flashing red lights; exception; violation as civil infraction meeting stopped school bus on divided highway; evidence; community service.
1.The driver of a vehicle overtaking or meeting a school bus which has stopped and is displaying two alternately flashing red lights located at the same level shall bring the vehicle to a full stop not less than 20 feet from the school bus and shall not proceed until the school bus resumes motion or the visual signals are no longer actuated. The driver of a vehicle who fails to stop for a school bus as required by this subsection, who passes a school bus in violation of this subsection, or who fails to stop for a school bus in violation of an ordinance that complies with this subsection, is responsible for a civil infraction.
2. The driver of a vehicle upon a highway which has been divided into two roadways by leaving an intervening space, or by a physical barrier, or clearly indicated dividing sections so constructed as to impede vehicular traffic, need not stop upon meeting a school bus which has stopped across the dividing space, barrier, or section.
3. In a proceeding for a violation of subsection 1., proof that the particular vehicle described in the citation was in violation of subsection 1., together with proof that the defendant named in the citation was, at the time of the violation, the registered owner of the vehicle, shall constitute in evidence a presumption that the registered owner of the vehicle was the driver of the vehicle at the time of the violation.
Frequently Asked Questions